Organic Raw Honey: Amazing Health Benefits & Uses
Growing up in the 80′s the only thing I knew about honey, was that my mom squeezed it from a plastic bear bottle on top my white Wonder bread sandwich covered with Jiffy peanut butter…..(*shudder*). Or, if we were sick with a sore throat Dad would make a lemon tea concoction and squeeze some of that same honey into the drink to sweeten it, and that’s about all I knew of honey growing up. Thankfully those days (and white bread!) are in the past and if that’s all you know about honey too….it’s okay because I’m here to open your eyes to a WHOLE new world of honey, and not just any honey… organic raw honey!
What is difference between that “bear” honey we all remember from childhood, and organic raw honey you ask? Well organic raw honey comes fresh from the honeycomb and it is a alkaline -forming food that contains tons of natural enzymes, vitamins and a powerhouse of natural antioxidants which haven’t gone through any pasteurization process to kill all those natural benefits. The honey that comes in the beat shaped bottle is really no better than straight sugar, it’s been processed and pasteurized with the heat killing all those enzymes and nutrients that our body needs. Once the enzymes are gone, that honey does no good for our bodies. Also unlike the bear honey, organic raw honey has many more benefits and uses that go far beyond sweetening your tea and sandwiches!
Health Benefits of Organic Raw Honey
- Organic raw honey has anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties
- Promotes digestive health
- Strengthens the immune system
- Helps to alleviate and eliminate allergies
- Recent studies proved that honey reduced overall cholesterol levels when taken daily
- Can stabilize blood pressure
- Balances blood sugar levels
- Organic raw honey is a natural multivitamin. It contains significant amounts of: B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, C, magnesium, potassium, calcium, sodium chlorine, sulfur, and phosphate
- Can calm nerves
- Raw honey is anti-inflammatory which is excellent in treating respiratory conditions like asthma and bronchitis
-Because of organic raw honey’s high sugar content and naturally occurring enzymes it makes a perfect food for long term storage or even your emergency kit. Most organic raw honeys last forever.
Amazing Uses for Organic Raw Honey
- Apply organic raw honey liberally on a wound to speed healing
- Can apply to Acne for stop treatment
- Take a tablespoon or two to help indigestion
- Can apply a thin layer to a sunburn to help heal quickly
- As a skin cleanser. Apply a small amount to face and massage in and rinse. The grainy crystals will help exfoliate skin.
- Give yourself a facial. Apply honey as above and massage, but leave on your face for 20-30 minutes before rinsing. This will help smooth the skin, fight wrinkles and reduce redness.
- Apply to cuts, scrapes, burns and rashes. Organic raw honey’s anti-bacterial properties will help fight infection and reduce scarring.
- Organic raw honey is an excellent alternative to cough medicine. Helps reduce coughs and sooth sore throats naturally.
- A tsp taken 3 times per day can help prevent seasonal allergies
- Honey mixed with equal parts coconut oil makes a wonderful skin conditioner
- Apply to hair for 10 minutes to give you hair an extra conditioning boots and it makes your hair silky and shiny too.
- Take a tablespoon of raw honey before your workout or any physical activity for a natural energy boost!
- Used topically, raw honey will act like an antiseptic which means it will prevent the growth of disease-causing microorganisms unlike other antiseptics that can damage the skin.
- Take a tablespoon of raw honey before bed (straight or with some warm chamomile tea) as a natural sleep remedy. Will help you relax and fall asleep faster.
- Sse as an alternative to sugar in baking
- Like I used to have when I was young… organic raw honey makes a far better peanut butter and honey sandwich
Despite the important benefits of organic raw honey, there are some warnings:
- Infants under the age of 1 should not be fed organic raw honey because of the risk of botulism. Their underdeveloped immune systems cannot prevent the Clostridium botulinum pores from multiplying. Botulism can cause paralysis and death.
- People with bee venom allergies sometimes suffer an allergic reaction to honey. These allergic reactions can easily become life-threatening.
- There is a higher risk of food poisoning when you consume organic raw honey vs. pasteurized honey.
With the knowledge of the above warnings, I still purchase only organic raw honey for my household. The pros far outweigh the cons for me.
I hope these benefits and uses helped open your eyes to a whole new world of organic raw honey. How do you like to use organic raw honey in your house?
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.