Organic Popcorn Becomes An Adventure In Flavor
Organic popcorn is pretty close to the perfect snack. Whether you’re streaming the latest movie from your favorite online source or you’re out in the yard with friends and neighbors celebrating the arrival of spring, you can’t go wrong with organic popcorn seasoned with some new and interesting flavors.
Let’s take a quick tour of popcorn so you understand just how important it is to choose organic popcorn instead of conventional. Did you know that over 90% of corn grown in the U.S. is genetically modified? That matters because GMO corn has been shown to be closely related (if not the sole cause) of gastrointestinal distress in livestock and humans. The BT toxin that is inserted into the gene of popcorn causes the stomachs of insects to explode. While humans are much larger than insects, it only makes sense that our gastrointestinal system would be affected by this as well. So, choosing organic popcorn is a smart choice. Organic popcorn is by definition non-GMO popcorn.
Popcorn is a great snack – it’s high in fiber and low in calories. Zero fat unless you drench it in something – but more about that in a moment.
A cup of air-popped organic popcorn is only 31 calories and has about 1.5 gm of fiber. Not bad. Of course, many of us prefer our popcorn with some sort of seasoning on it.
If you’re going to add a seasoning, you might want to toss your organic popcorn with some organic extra-virgin olive oil or organic olive oil spray. This will help your seasonings stick and a bit of fat gives your organic popcorn a great flavor. Here are my top 8 seasoning ideas. What are yours?
[Hint: If you want someone else to pop your organic popcorn and season it with great flavor combinations, try 479 organic gourmet popcorn but be warned, it’s crazy good and you will become a serious 479’er]
- Extra-virgin olive oil spray (helps lightly coat without adding too many calories)
- Fusion White Truffle Sea Salt – needs no explanation, give it a try
- Fusion Chile Verde Sea Salt – a bit of heat to amp up your organic popcorn
- Simply Organic Garlic Salt – an old standby
- Red Star Nutritional Yeast Flakes (shaker) – another old standby, if you’ve never tried it, you’re in for a treat. Great source of protein, essential amino acids and B vitamins, how great is that?
- Eden Foods Organic Black & Tan Gomasio – a lower sodium seasoning made of black and tan sesame seeds and a bit of sea salt. Delish.
- Frontier Organic Balti Curry Seasoning – give your popcorn a more international flare with this wonderful seasoning
- Frontier Organic Thai Seasoning – another great international flavor to spice up your organic popcorn.
Do you have other favorite toppings for popcorn? Let us know in the comments!