Organic Milk Recipes from Organic Raw Nuts
How to Make Organic Milk from Organic Raw Almonds:
- Soak 1 cup of raw almonds in water 6-8 hours or overnight (make sure the nuts are covered in water).
- When done soaking pour out the water and rinse, then pour nuts in your blender.
- Add 3 cups of filtered water and blend on high for 3 minutes.
- Strain milk through a nut bag, sieve or cheese cloth. Place in a jar and put in fridge. Use within 3-4 days.
How to Make Organic Milk from Cashews (this is my favorite, quick easy, no fuss):
- Pour 1 cup of raw cashews right into your blender (no need to soak or rinse)
- Add 3 cups of water and blend on high for 2-3 minutes. Pour in jar and use within 3-4 days (no need to strain)
- To make an extra special treat, here is a little variation: Vanilla Honey Cinnamon Cashew Milk. Just add the following ingredients to your blender alongside the nuts:
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2-2 tbsp of Honey (you can also use maple syrup or stevia to sweeten also)
Important Note about Raw Almonds:
In 2007 the USDA implemented a mandatory pasteurization program for almonds in the U.S. This rule was called for in response to two recalls of raw almonds from conventional farms due to the presence of salmonella. So please take caution that if you purchase organic almonds in North America, they will have gone through steam pasteurization. Unfortunately in North America, now that “raw” almonds are pasteurized (by one of the above methods) they are still able to label them as “raw” because they aren’t roasted. When experimenting with pasteurized raw almonds, I found that they did still sprout. While there’s no guarantee that a pasteurized almond would sprout, some are making it to market with their life force intact.
What’s your favorite kind of organic milk? Do you make your own organic milk? Or do you have a favorite brand?
1. “Cashews,” WHFoods.org
2. “Walnuts,” WHFoods.org
Latest posts by Cara (see all)
- Coffee & Beyond: Seven Organic Drinks to Start Your Day - August 12, 2015