Organic Chia Seeds: Breakfast Pudding Recipe & 10 Cool Health Benefits
I have known about organic chia seeds for some time now but I didn’t really start incorporating them into my diet until about a year and a half ago, and only to help me with my weight loss regimen. After having my 4th and final child I was ready and determined to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight (again). I had read that taking 1 tablespoon of organic chia seeds with water 15 minutes before your meals helps you to feel fuller. And so I started incorporating organic chia seeds into my diet more with recipes like:
Organic Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding Recipe:
- 1 Cup of milk (cow, goat or any nut milks)
- 1/4 c of Chia Seeds
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- Couple tablespoons of raw honey or Stevia to taste
Heat milk, vanilla in a small sauce pan until hot (not boiling) stir in the organic chia seeds and take off heat. Let mix sit for 10 minutes or until thick. Stir in raw honey and other add in. You can make this chocolate pudding by adding a tsp. or two of raw Cacao powder!
And I soon noticed that adding these organic chia seeds to my diet was definitely making me feel fuller sooner, and healthier, and so I knew there must be more to this little, gelatinous, seed so I started to research and I was blown away by the many nutritional benefits of this magical, little seed!
10 Health Benefits of Organic Chia Seeds:
1. High in Protein: Chia seeds have the highest amount of protein than any other grain (about 2.5-3 g per 1 tbsp). Organic chia seeds are easily absorbed and digestible. Chia has a total of 19 essential amino acids which makes it a complete protein source . Chia seeds can even replace the protein in those protein shakes!
2. Joint Pain: Daily use of chia over time will greatly reduce or eliminate joint pain. The omega 3 in organic chia seeds are a proven anti-inflammatory. Even the Aztecs ate chia seeds to relieve knee pain. A number of arthritis sufferers have reported reduced pain and inflammation after a few weeks of taking organic chia seeds. The high concentration of omega-3 helps to lubricate joints and keep them supple.
3. Rich in Fiber: Organic chia seeds are also very high in fiber, 10 grams in just 2 tablespoons which makes up 1/3 of your daily fiber intake. Chia seed fiber is 5%-10% mucilloid soluble dietary fiber (helps lower cholesterol and manage diabetes) 90%-95% insoluble dietary fiber (promotes healthy regularity). Taking chia daily will greatly aid your regularity.
4. Antioxidants: Organic chia seeds are rich in antioxidants that help protect the body from free radicals, cancer and aging. Per serving they contain a much higher level of antioxidants than blueberries! So that high antioxidant profile also helps them have a very long shelf life. They last almost two years without refrigeration.
5. Gluten Free: If you are like me and have a gluten free child in your home or you yourself are gluten free, don’t fret because organic chia seeds contain no gluten or grains. Therefore, all of the nutritional benefits of organic chia seeds can be obtained on a gluten-free diet.
6. High Energy Food: Chia is known as a mega energy food. Athletes (like runners, climbers, weight lifters, etc.) take it because of its prolonged sustained release of energy. It has twice the potassium as bananas. It easily can give you sustainable energy throughout your daily cardio and strength workouts. You will be amazed at your increased energy levels.
7. Recovery: Amino acids are the “building blocks of protein” while antioxidants are the ultimate defense against free radicals. Organic chia seeds are full of both. Eat them soon after your workout to jump start recovery.
8. Omega 3 and 6: Organic chia seeds are rich in polyunsaturated fats, especially omega-3 fatty acids. Organic chia seeds’ lipid profile is composed of 60 percent omega-3s, making them one of the richest plant-based sources of these fatty acids , and has the highest known natural percentage of alpha linolenic fatty acid. More than flax seeds even (which needs to be ground, or in oil form which can be expensive and has a limited shelf life) or salmon. Omega 3 and 6 help our brain functions and naturally brightens our mood. They also help our central nervous system and cell membranes health. Omega oils are important for our vital organs, especially our thyroid and skin cells. chia also is an important part of heart healthy eating and cardiovascular health.
9. Detoxification: Similar to psyllium, the swelling action of chia in the body helps to cleanse and soothe the colon, and absorb toxins while lubricating and strengthening the contraction of muscles.
10. Weight Loss: Like I mentioned above that I started using organic chia seeds for an aid in my weight loss here is why: The essential fatty acids contained in organic chia seeds helps to boost our metabolism and promote lean muscle mass. The seeds are sometimes added to food to provide bulk and nutrients while adding very few calories. For these reasons, many people have found organic chia seeds are quite useful in weight loss and maintaining your weight when you have reached your goal.
Other Ways to Incorporate Organic Chia Seeds in Your Diet:
- As a drink. Add 1 tablespoon to your favorite drink
- Incorporate into your smoothies
- Stir into your prepared oatmeal or other warm breakfast porridge
- Stir into your hot tea
Now aren’t you happy you know of all the amazing qualities and benefits of this super seed?! They sure have come a long way since the famous Chia Pet craze… you remember the little jingle right? “Chi-Chi-Chia”, well who knew that those crazy pets were actually a power house super-food! Just go to your favorite health food store or pick some up here and start incorporating them into your diet today!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.