Soak Your Nuts? How To Improve the Health Benefits of Organic Almonds
Almonds by far are the most used nut in my home. I use organic almonds for everything from making milk and butter, tasty snacks and even savory meals too. I just love the versatility of almonds. Not only that, but raw organic almonds are jam packed with health benefits. Now… if we could just get everyone to SOAK their almonds. By soaking nuts we can unlock even more health benefits that nuts hold. Almonds have an acid and an enzyme inhibitor in their brown skin that actual protects itself against sunlight and moisture. So without removing that inhibitor it actually makes it more difficult for us to digest and we don’t absorb the nutrients well. By soaking the almonds we can shed off its skin which releases the enzymes so that we can then digest them much easier and absorb all of their nutrients.
Here are a few health benefits of soaking organic almonds:
- Easy to digest- After soaking you will notice the texture is a little different, they are easier to eat and is easier for children to eat them as well. Because they are easier to chew this will help with digestion and us being able to absorb the nutrients.
- 1 ounce of organic almonds (about 20 to 25 almonds) can contain as much calcium as 1/4 cup of milk. Also, almonds are a great source of magnesium and phosphorous, which are important minerals for building strong bones.
- Almonds are wonderful for brain health they contain two vital brain nutrients, riboflavin and L-carnitine, which have been shown to increase brain activity, resulting in new neural pathways and a decreased occurrence of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Almonds have two very important fatty acids, both linoleic and linolenic acids. Those fatty acids help to reduce inflammation all around the body, which unfortunately most of us suffer from. The fatty acids also help to reduce the levels of “bad” cholesterol (LDL cholesterol), and they promote healthy skin and hair! All in all, almonds pack a powerful, healthy punch.
Almonds contain folic acid, which helps reduce the incidence of birth defects in newborn babies. It also stimulates healthy cell growth and tissue formation.
How to Soak Organic Almonds (for optimal nutrient benefits):
- 2 -4 cups of organic almonds
- Sea salt
In a large glass bowl add your almonds, sprinkle a little sea salt then poor filtered or purified water over almonds so they are completely covered. Leave them to soak overnight or up to 10 hours. Drain them well then store in jars or storage containers and store in the fridge for up to a week. Also if you have a dehydrator you can dry them on low heat or (nut seed setting) until slightly crispy and store them. Use them like you would any recipes or just for a perfect snack!
What’s your favorite way to prepare and/or eat almonds?
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.