Natural Dental Health: Tips & Recipes
I have been interested in natural dental health for awhile and practicing it in my own family for over a year, and I’m happy to say it’s been working wonders! When I began my healthy lifestyle and took out all the chemicals in my household that meant that toothpaste had to go too! No more fluoride toothpaste in my house! I also started researching for a good homemade toothpaste recipe and after trying a few different ones I came up with this one, which was finally kid-approved!
Natural Dental Health: Homemade Natural Toothpaste- Fluoride Free
- 6 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 6 Tablespoons Baking Soda
- 10-20 drops of essential oils (peppermint or spearmint) or you can also use peppermint extract also.
- 1/2-1 teaspoon of stevia (start small and add to your liking)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin (optional)
Mix all the ingredients together and store in clean glass baby jars or a small mason jar. Dip your tooth brush in and brush away!
If you would rather not make your own here are a few good options I can recommend:
There are many variations of the above recipe, but my kids like this one the best. There are also some very wonderful tooth powder recipes if you like powder better, I would recommend this recipe.
What other stuff can you do for natural dental health? Well there are many things you can do to help improve the health of your teeth. The most important thing that most people don’t even think of is our diet. Most of us know that sugar is bad. But did you know that what you eat and nourish our body with can actually heal your cavities naturally, painlessly and at no cost! Yes, it’s true. If you want to know more pick up the book, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price, DDS. He was an amazing dentist back in the 30’s, and he traveled around the world to different countries in the search of healthy people. He found that the primitive peoples who ate their indigenous foods were in the best health and their teeth reflected their health. Other primitive regions who were introduced to modernized foods (sugar, white flour, refined oils etc.) were not as lucky and he found dental cavities and poor health, crooked teeth etc. It’s a very good lesson that what we eat has a direct link to our health, not just our teeth, but our whole body. If you or your kids are dealing with cavities and don’t want to be drilled, always try the natural way first, I promise you if you are consistent with it you will have remarkable results! Find more good tips on how to heal your cavities naturally.
4 Additional Tips & Tricks for Natural Dental Health:
- Oil Pulling: Oil pulling is an excellent way to pull toxins out of the mouth and leaves your teeth feeling fresh and clean as can be.
- Activated Charcoal is another good way to pull out toxins from your mouth and teeth. An added bonus is that it naturally whitens teeth. It can get a little messy though, so make sure you brush over your sink. I would do this a couple times a week.
- Floss, we all know the benefits of flossing so keep at it, helps those gums stay strong!
- A Hydrogen Peroxide rinse. After I bush I like to swish for a few minutes with equal parts hydrogen peroxide and water. This will keep bacteria at bay and also has the added benefit of whiting teeth!
Did you find this helpful? What tips do you have for natural dental care?