5 Gluten Free Pasta Options
For the most part of 2013 my family has been doing its best to be gluten free, with the exceptions of my son and my
husband (it’s been hard and I think my son will get on board much easier than my husband, but I’m working on them both!). We found out one of our daughter’s was gluten sensitive early this year and have been doing our best to adapt. One of her most missed foods is pasta. In the beginning it was very hard, but since there are so many delicious gluten free foods available nowadays, we’ve been adapting fairly well and even my husband likes our gluten free pasta options. Before I give you a list of gluten free pasta options, here is a good read about gluten. Also, check out this article to see if you might be suffering from gluten intolerance and get tips for how to start living a gluten free lifestyle. Now for the fun part…
5 Favorite Gluten Free Pasta Options:
- Believe it or not vegetables make a perfect substitute for traditional pasta noodles; Spaghetti squash in particular is an excellent option. Spaghetti and meatballs is my family’s favorite dish using Spaghetti squash. I have also used thinly sliced, cabbage and zucchini too!
- Brown Rice Pasta: I usually have this on hand in my home at all times for quick meals like gluten free macaroni and cheese.
- Corn Pasta is another option. I personally have never tried it before, but I’m very curious and I can’t wait to test it out on the family. When buying any type of corn, remember to always buy organic corn.
- Quinoa, did you know they can make pasta out of quinoa? Quinoa is one of my favorites and I just love the taste and texture. Ancient Harvest does a blend of quinoa and corn that’s very delicious.
- Kelp Noodles are a great option too. I like these because they are quick and easy. You can rinse them off and eat them as is or heat them up in your favorite dish. These are especially good in stir-fry’s.
Now that you have a few more gluten free pasta options, I hope you feel more confident in the kitchen knowing that you can use the options above to make your favorite dishes again. Oh! One last gluten free pasta option! And this was a must: lasagna! Yes, you can still have lasagna! Can you tell from all my exclamation points that it was my most missed pasta? It’s hard to find a good gluten free lasagna pasta! I’m part Italian, going gluten free sounded like a death sentence for me at first, so I definitely sympathize with anyone’s gluten free lifestyle change. I promise you though, you will make it work and in time you won’t even miss those wheat noodles anymore. Plus by going gluten free you are doing your body a wonderful favor so keep up the good work!
What is your favorite gluten free pasta? Did you have a favorite pasta dish that you re-invented with gluten free substitutes?